Tuesday, April 15, 2008

The Calm Before the Storm

I don't have any pictures for this post, mostly because I have been at home or at work, and nowhere interesting to take pictures. Graham has been coming home on the weekends, which has been wonderful!! I had a phone interview with Wells Fargo in Sturgis last Thursday, and they want me to come to a face to face interview the 25th. I am very excited, and hope it works out. I have experience in every area that they need, so I just have to charm them with my personality now. :)

This week I don't have much going on other than a test on Friday. Next week I have a test on Monday, 2 on Thursday, and I have to leave for SD on that day as well. The following Monday I have a very large homework assignment due and the last week of classes. I am trying to get as much stuff done now when I don't have anything going on. It is going to be crazy!

It is hard to believe that there is less than a month left of school. I have been in school for 17 years, or about 153 months, or about 4,590 days. I have only been alive for about 7,650 days, so I have spent about 60% of my life in school. I am ready for it to be over, but there are going to be things I am going to miss.
For example:
Naps in kindergarten
Learning new things
Good teachers who really cared
The feeling of the first day of school
The feeling of the last day of school
The freedom that came with summer

What I won't miss:
HOMEWORK
High school drama
Sitting in class
Boring classes
The feeling you get when you forgot to do an assignment
TESTS!!!!
Studying things that I will never use the rest of my life

It seems that I learned so much in school that didn't come from a book or teachers.
1. People change from sweet and innocent kindergartners
2. Tattling really doesn't do much good
3. Mom and dad knew what they were talking about when they didn't let us be too involved with school friends, even though I though it was SO unfair and unreasonable
4. Procrastination only brings stress
5. You can't say yes to everyone or try and make everyone happy (speaking from being the class president)
6. Sharing is good because they you can share in the fun and joy it brings everyone you share with.
7. Most importantly: try your best, and if your best isn't an A, it's not the end of the world

Well, that is just a few of my may ramblings. What do you miss about school?

5 comments:

Lainey said...

I am so proud of you. You did a good job of summarizeing the school experience! You will always look back and be glad for not only the scholarship but the life experience. I am glad you mentioned the part about your parents knowing it was best for you not to get too involved in school friends. Strengthens my resolve as a mom to keep an even keel and look at some of the situations that arise from a future perspective. So far we don't have too much of a problem, but you never know! I'm sure you are anxious to move on to the next chapter of your life. Thanks for the update.

Anonymous said...

I am glad that this semester is about over for you, Lana - I know it has not been easy sticking it out there in Laramie when Graham is in SD - but I know you will be glad you did! I like this quote:

"Perhaps the most valuable result of all education is the ability to make yourself to do the thing you have to do when it ought to be done whether you like it or not. It is the first lesson that ought to be learned and however early a person's training begins, it is probably the last lesson a person learns thoroughly." Thomas Huxley, British biologist.

Getting through school, then through college, is proving you have learned this lesson to a certain extent - although we all have to continue to learn it through life. There is a whole lot of school and college that is not fun, in fact it is more like drudgery at times. But - that is also true of life. Only when you are in school you have someone checking to make sure you do it - whether this is by attendence or tests or another method. When you get out of school, no one is checking on you or making you do things, so you have to have the maturity to do those "unfun" things on your own.

What do I miss about school? I guess the challenge of learning new things, but not the homework or the papers and projects that they require of you for classes.

I'm very proud of you and wish you much happiness as you move into the next phase of your life.
Love, Mom

Duane Hettich said...

Good Luck on finishing up your college pretty soon, Lana. We're glad that you and Graham plan to move to SD. That'll be good for the Black Hills. Also, hope it goes well on your interview in Sturgis.

andy and michelle said...

Oh Lana, this is a wonderful post! Awesome summary, full of nostalgia and feeling.

What I miss about school is really using my brain. (Spoken like a true nerd, I suppose, but it's true nonetheless.) I like looking at something (esp math problems), having NO clue, and then having that 'ah ha' moment when it just clicks. I love working those things out. There's such a feeling of satisfaction for having solved something yourself.

What I DON'T miss:
my friends (which is not what i'd have thought when leaving high school),
the stress of trying to fit in (which was ridiculous, I'm aware now),
being way, way too worried about what people thought. Thank goodness those days are over!!!!!!!

When you visit Riverton in the future (which I hope you seriously do), plan on staying with us. What fun we'd have!

VJ said...

I will never miss anything about school! :)